• Old English poetry and prose
• ”Teaching the Teachers: the Vercelli Book and the Mixed Life’, English Studies 94/6 (2013), 627-58.
• ‘Reshaping tradition: the originality of the Scyld Scefing episode in Beowulf‘, in Transmission and Generation: Essays in Honour of John Scattergood, ed. Karen Hodder and Brendan O’Connell (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2012), pp. 21-36
• ‘Royal Wisdom and the Alfredian Context of Cynewulf and Cyneheard’, Anglo-Saxon England 39 (2010), 71-104; available online at http://journals.cambridge.org/abstract_S0263675110000062
• ‘The Poetic Purpose of the Modthryth-Offa story in Beowulf‘, forthcoming in The Review of English Studies 60 (2009), 538-60; available online at http://res.oxfordjournals.org/content/60/246/538.short?res=1
• ‘Making Sense of Ker’s Dates: the Origins of Beowulf and the Palaeographers’, Proceedings of the Manchester Centre for Anglo-Saxon Studies Postgraduate Conference 1 (March 2005); available online at
Old and Middle English Langauge and Literature; English Language