Deadline: 29 November 2013
A Changing Book Market? Spain and Portugal, 1601-1650, Centre for the History of the Media, University College Dublin, 5-6 June 2014
The marketplace for print in Spain, Portugal and the New World witnessed many profound transformations in the first half of the seventeenth century. Overall, there was a dramatic increase in the output of the presses, while patterns of production shifted significantly from what had been set in the preceding century. The period witnessed the growth of an increasingly vibrant news culture. Appetites for recreational reading also began to change, seen not least in the number of printed plays available for purchase.
Though attracting far less scholarly attention, perhaps the most noteworthy development of all was the maturing use of the press to service government and the legal profession. This conference will focus broadly on the industry and culture of print, and ask just how the Iberian book world of the first half of the seventeenth century compares with what had gone before and what would follow.
The conference will take place in Dublin on the 5 -6 June 2014. It will coincide with the launch of volumes 2 and 3 of the UCD Iberian Book Project which cover this period. Confirmed speakers include two of the most distinguished figures in Golden Age Studies, Professor Don Cruickshank and Professor Henry Ettinghausen.
Papers are warmly invited from scholars from any academic background interested in the industry or culture of the Iberian book. The principal and preferred language of the conference will be English. However, papers may be delivered in Spanish or Portuguese if pre-circulated. Papers on less well explored areas of study such as legal print or illustration are especially welcome. The Call for Papers is now open. Potential contributors are asked to submit a title and brief outline of their paper (250 words) to Dr Alejandra Ulla Lorenzo (email@example.com ) before Friday 29 November 2013.
The Conference has been made possible thanks to the generous support of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.