Closing date 27th April 2014
Lecturer in Middle Eastern and/or Mediterranean History (1000-1600 CE),
University of Antwerp.
Tenured academic staff in the area of Middle Eastern and/or Mediterranean History (1000-1600 CE)
- You will teach or co-teach at bachelor’s and master’s level, including a “Seminar” ( 6-9 ECTS, 30-45 contact hours), “Political History of the Middle Ages” (6 ECTS, 45 contact hours) and a new master’s course in the field of your expertise (biennial, 6 ECTS, 30 contact hours).
- You will also supervise Master’s Theses and Doctoral Dissertations in your field of expertise;
- You will expand research in the area of the Medieval history of the Mediterranean or the Middle East, and organize your research within the Centre for Political History;
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international);
- You will offer scientific services and contribute to the international visibility of the History Department;
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in History or a related discipline;
- You have research experience in the field of Medieval or Early Modern History, with a focus on the Mediterranean or the Middle East;
- You have experience in university teaching, and the focus in your teaching corresponds to the UA educational vision;
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy;
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them);
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative;
- You can meet the statutory language requirements for both the knowledge of the teaching language and the administrative language, Dutch. The University of Antwerp provides the necessary support.
- You have experience with the design, implementation and monitoring of projects.
- commensurate with the experience and the academic qualifications Either a full-time position as a lecturer, in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria.
- Or a full-time position as a senior lecturer or higher, generally entailing a permanent appointment. In the case of a first appointment to the corps of academic personnel (ZAP), the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. This position will lead to a permanent appointment if the performance is assessed favourably.
- The date of appointment will be 1 October 2014;
- A gross monthly salary ranging from € 4 009,43 – € 5 910,19 for a full-time lecturer, € 4 591,43 – € 7 213,07 for a full-time senior lecturer;
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 27th of April 2014;
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel;
- More information about the application form can be obtained from Ellen Huijer (TEL 03 265 31 45) or Robin Wynants (TEL 03 265 31 41);
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Henk de Smaele (firstname.lastname@example.org; +32 3 265 42 81) or Prof. Tim Soens (email@example.com; +32 3 265 43 49).
Further details: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/jobs/vacancies/ap/2014zapfdgesex039/