The University of Groningen.
The PhD position is funded by the research project “No More Heroes: Violence and Resistance in Early American Poetry” () and based at the Department of English Language and Culture.
The position is for 3 years, with no teaching obligations or tuition fees.
– proven research abilities and affinity with the research topic
– archival or digital experience is welcome
– excellent academic writing skills.
Conditions of employment
The successful candidates will be enrolled in the Graduate School for the Humanities (GSH) of the Faculty of Arts at the University of Groningen. The GSH offers the organizational infrastructure within which PhD candidates participate in advanced training and supervised research:
Please send your entire application (in English) in max. 2 pdf files until 28 February / before 1 March 2017, by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on the advertisement on the university website). Please upload your entire application as “letter of motivation” and include the vacancy number at the start of your application. Use the second pdf file for the writing samples, mentioned below.
The application should contain the following:
1. A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct research within early modern English literature
2. A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if any), and a copy of your passport
3. A certified copy or scan of your MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record
4. A research proposal, focusing on the central research question to be addressed and the proposed method of approaching and answering this question (750 words)
5. Two recent samples of your writing (not exceeding a combined 10,000 words) and names and contact details of two academic references.
Please ask your referees to send their references directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
Application deadline: before 1 March 2017.
Start date: 1 October 2017.
Late applications will normally not be taken into consideration.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Contract type: 36 months