Closing date: Open until filled
Assistant Professor in Shakespeare,
Department of English Literature and Linguistics,
The Department of English Literature and Linguistics invites applications for an Assistant Professor of English Literature from candidates with specialization in Shakespeare. In addition to teaching introductory and upper-level undergraduate courses, the candidate will be expected to carry out excellent scholarly research, and contribute to the enhancement of the Department, College and University.
Qatar University Profile
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has a diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conducts research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University – faculty, staff, and students – are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics, Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, Statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. There are also the newly established three research centers for Social Science and Humanities, Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure internal and external funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding exceeding 1 million USD (and 5 million exceptional projects) along with programs for student research funding. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most QNRF awards, with many research-active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Teach courses in the area of expertise
2. Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University level
3. Contribute to the research profile of College through publications
4. Serve as student advisor
5. Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
1. Ph.D. in the relevant disciplinary area
2. Strong peer reviewed publication record
3. Teaching experience at tertiary level
4. Familiar with educational technologies used in the higher education sector
5. Willingness to work with teams
6. Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds
7. Excellent written and oral communication skills
1. Current Curriculum Vitae
2. Statement of Teaching Philosophy
3. Research Plan
4. Contact details of three referees (physical and email addresses as well their telephone contact)
5. Academic transcript of the highest qualification
6. Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application
1. A three-year renewable contract
2. Salary is commensurate with experience
3. Tax-free salary
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies
9. End-of-contract indemnity
To apply for this position, please send your curriculum vitae plus all other requested documents to Dr Ross Griffin, Assistant Professor of English and Comparative Literature, at firstname.lastname@example.org