FORUM FOR MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE STUDIES IN IRELAND
FORUM UM LÉANN NA MEÁN-AOISE AGUS AN RENAISSANCE IN ÉIRINN
This page highlights major projects with which FMRSI members are currently involved, at the national and international levels. Projects are listed in alphabetical order by member (as per information provided by members).
In collaboration with Dr Manfred Schewe, Department of German, UCC:
‘Cork’s World Theatre’: Text – Translation – Adaptation – Performance of Thomas Hürlimann, Das Einsiedler Welttheater (nach Pedro Calderón de la Barca) (Zürich: Ammann Verlag, 2007). It is envisaged that the translated text form the basis for a large-scale community theatre project, culminating in a performance on UCC’s campus in 2009 or 2010.
Funded by: Arts Faculty Research Fund, UCC.
• Principal Investigator, ArCH — Armarium Codicum Hibernensium
• Director, Irish National Institute for Historical Research
• Convenor, Insular Studies Seminar, University College Cork
• Editor, Chronicon – An electronic history journal
The liturgical veneration of Irish saints in medieval Europe: music, texts and hagiography in comparative cultural perspectives
(IRCHSS Projects Grant Scheme, 2006-08 )
• Irish Research Council Marie Curie/CARA Mobility Fellowship at Queen Mary, University of London and University College Cork, 2010-13;
• Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2007-09, to edit the Wise Book of Philosophy and Astronomy (forthcoming 2013).
• Australian Research Council Discovery Project 2004-2008. “Scalded memory: gender, violence and the Irish, 12th – 19th centuries” with Prof. Elizabeth Malcolm.
‘Accessing the Wordhoard: An Introduction to Old English’ (together with Katie Long, UCD)
IRCHSS-funded Project, ‘Irish confraternities, 1775-1965’ (2005-08 )
Recent funding from AHRC, Leverhulme and British Academy for work on popular music.
Eiléan NÍ CHUILLEANÁIN:
• 5 postgraduate theses on Renaissance subjects funded by IRCHSS;
• 1 IRCHSS postdoctoral Fellow, who then devised her own project on ‘Italian Renaissance works on poetics in the Library of Trinity College Dublin’ for which I obtained funding from the Long Room Hub at TCD.
Edition of the oldest commentary tradition on Martianus (Scaliger Institute, Leiden)
• 2006-2009 Doctoral Teaching Fellowship English Department NUI Galway.
The ‘Making’ of a Woman’s Life: The Book of Margery Kempe
• Power in the Middle Ages Postgraduate Medievalists’ Conference
Funded by various bodies within the National University of Ireland Galway.
Ph.D. dissertation: Polyptychs and Peripheries: Fifteenth-century painting in Dalmatia
Funded by: American Association of University Women, Fulbright Association, Kress Foundation, Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation, American Council of Learned Societies
AHRC Networks Project, ‘Filming and Performing Renaissance History’, Member of Steering Committee
• Supplement to the electronic Dictionary of the Irish Language (2007-12). Funded by Arts and Humanities Research Council (UK)
• Electronic Dictionary of the Irish Language (2003-07). Funded by Arts and Humanities Research Council (UK).
• Linking Dictionaries and Texts, with Prof. Donnchadh Ó Corráin, UCC; funded by Higher Education Authority.
Director, The Iberian Book Project. Books Published in Spanish or Portuguese or printed on the Iberian Peninsula before 1601 (projected end-date 2010)
• 2007-2008: Department of English Doctoral Teaching Fellowship
• 2008-2009: Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences.
AHRC Networks project: ‘Filming and Performing Renaissance History’ (Principle Investigator – Professor Mark Thornton Burnett).